Put down the takeaway menu and head to your local Aldi store to get the ingredients for this Crispy Sesame Beef dish. Find the #recipe below. For more delicious #fakeaway ideas, head over to our Instagram Stories. #StudentFood #StudentMeals #BudgetMeals
1 cup peanut oil
1 pound sirloin steak, sliced into thin strips
4 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
FOR THE SAUCE
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon Sriracha, optional
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1. Heat peanut oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. In a large bowl, combine steak and 2 tablespoons cornstarch, tossing to coat and letting the steak absorb the cornstarch. Add remaining 2 tablespoons cornstarch before adding to the stockpot.
3. Working in batches, cook steak until golden and crisp, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
4. In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, orange juice, vinegar, garlic, ginger, Sriracha and sesame oil until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in steak and gently toss to combine.
5. Serve immediately, garnished with sesame seeds and green onion, if desired.